Usually, on most web pages, the title would be something like, "What we believe." I title my "what I believe" page "eternal things." As I began to create my site, the thought came to me - what I believe is eternal!
I believe in God, His Word - the Bible, His love, His will for all people and our need for a Savior! All these things ARE ETERNAL!
In the meantime...what do you believe? Are those things eternal?
What do I believe? Good question! Let me share with you some things that I believe; things that have become my spiritual “DNA!” (Things we believe MUST become who we are or a mere belief “system” means nothing!)
Most “about us” or, “our beliefs” pages begin with God and all things related. I’ll start with the Bible because that’s where anyone interested in knowing about God and all things related to Him must go for information. Here is what I believe the Bible has to say about things connected to my faith and walk with the Lord:
Before I begin though, let me ask you some questions.
A. Are the Scriptures true? If so, are they ALL true? If not, who decides which are and which are not true? If they ARE true, how should we then live?
B. Do the Scriptures change? If they do, which have changed and which have not? If they have changed, who decides which have and which haven’t? If they do not change, then how should we then live?
C. Is God’s love universal and eternal? In other words, does God love US as much as He did Jeremiah and others in the Bible such as the Emmaus Road Disciples? If He DOES love us the same, then why would we not ask God to do for us what He did for Jeremiah (in 15:16), and the Emmaus Road Disciples in Luke 24?
1. I believe the Bible is absolutely the Word of God, inspired by Him and given to folks to know Him and His will for our lives. The Scriptures are the final source and authority for faith and practice. I believe that skeptics don’t take the Bible seriously because Christians don’t. How on earth can we say to the “world” that the Scriptures are “thus says the Lord” when most people who claim to be “Christ – followers” have never read the Bible from beginning to end much less read it enough to know the God of history. History is “HIS – story! I talk to a good many people from all over the world who claim to be atheists. They have arrived at their position however with not even a fundamental understanding of what the Bible reveals about God, man, our need for a savior and who The Savior is. Really, though, one would not expect someone who has not embraced Christ for salvation to be well versed in the Bible when “Western Christians” have absolutely no Scriptural depth themselves. Would not a reasonable defense of faith be presented through a dynamic understanding of the Bible? IF “atheism” exists, it does so because the church, especially the American church has grown fat, lazy and drunk with self interest. It is impotent and lacking any spiritual depth, because there has been no cry to God for a hunger for His Word. We have lost our passion to move beyond a belief system and BECOME God's will in the world.There is a VAST difference between merely knowing ABOUT God's will and BEING God's will!
2. The Bible reveals God in three persons; Father, Son (Jesus, God in the flesh), and the Holy Spirit.
3. The Bible reveals that mankind is born lost in sin and unable to have a right relationship with God. The only way to have a right relationship with God is in, by, and through Jesus Christ. Unless one is born again through faith in Christ (which mandates, confession of sin, repentance FROM sin and obedience to God and His Word), there is no hope of eternal life. The Bible teaches that hell is a real place of eternal torment. All those who reject Christ will spend eternity there.
4. A right relationship with Christ begins when one realizes that sin separates us from God; that we need a Savior; and the Jesus Christ saves us from sin through His own sinless life, sacrifice on the cross, and resurrection three days later. If you think that you have not sinned, or, if you think that you’re ok because you are not a murderer or rapist, then consider this. You have told lies, right? That makes you a liar. You’ve taken things that didn’t belong to you, correct? That means you’re a thief. I would imagine that sometime in your life you have used God’s Holy Name in disgust or as a curse word (blasphemy); and, if you’re human you’ve looked at someone with lust which Jesus said was the same as adultery. Someday God is going to judge us by His law, the Ten Commandments. The Bible says that if we break just one of His commandments we’re guilty of breaking them all. So, we’re thieves, liars, blasphemers and adulterers at heart. There are six MORE commandments that we’ve also broken. If we stand before God and He judges us by the Ten Commandments we will be guilty - we'll be lawbreakers. If we are guilty, because God is just we must spend eternity in hell. God did something however to make sure we would not face His righteous judgment and be eternally lost. He sent Jesus, born of a virgin who lived a sinless life to die on the cross to deliver us from sin, death and hell. We must not only believe IN Him but cling to Him for life here so that we can live forever! (For more information about this concept and materials to study for yourself and to help others come to a saving faith in Christ please visit Way of the Master; www.wayofthemaster.com ) For one – on – one help, you may email me. One more note about being IN right relationship with God – to be born again, one must repent of sin (which means to turn AWAY from sin and live life according to God’s perfect will), confess faith in Christ and through the Holy Spirit – walk as Jesus walked. (Merely believing in Jesus or some “higher power” is useless. The Scripture says that demons believe and tremble. If all one has is a belief system, what difference is there between a “believer” and the devil?) Read the Bible everyday and do what it says. God will NEVER let you down! (Some of the phrases used in this paragraph have come from Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron, leaders at The Way of the Master ministries in California).
5. The imminent return of Jesus is upon us. (Special note – a lot of folks believe time to be a loop which means that history repeats itself. With that, each generation believes it has the opportunity to improve or better itself; hence, we have social evolution. In reality, time is a linear line with a beginning and an end. In that, each generation must discover where it is on this time line and live accordingly. The Parable of the Fig Tree in Matthew 24 helps us know where we are on this time line!)
6. One more note on last things; before Jesus comes I believe there will be a sweeping worldwide revival that will be key in the final events of history. I would like to talk to you about the church in the evening time of history as compared to the church in its morning. There are some fascinating things to learn! I would like to have a chance to explain to you a doctrine our church believes called "The Evening Light." If you do a web search using that phrase you will more than likely find distorted views and teachings on this subject. The teaching has been reduced to pharasaical legalism that steals from it the amazing power and beauty of the Bride of Christ in the last days.
7. The God Christians believe in and serve is revealed in Jesus Christ - period. God has many names in the Old Testament but God is pleased that all the “Godhead” would dwell bodily IN JESUS CHRIST – alone! (See Colossians, chapter 1).That means that all religions do NOT worship the same “god” as do Christians – only by another “name.” The “gods” of the world's religions are merely inventions of the masses to appease their conscience and restrict or exclude others unless they bow to man-made (and demon inspired) religious systems. To think that we all serve the same “god” may make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside and give us some sense of pluralistic tolerance but it’s all just foolishness and idle talk. The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, is revealed in Jesus Christ. He is God. Period.
There are many other things that Bible teaches us about life both here and hereafter and about being partners with God on a great adventure that brings honor to Him in every aspect of our lives. If you’re a Christ – follower you should realize that approximately 150,000 people die each day! Most of them die lost which means they will not go to heaven. Where is our passion and COM-passion for them? Why do we not grieve over the lost as Paul did in Romans 9? If you are not a Christ – follower, what is keeping you from giving your life to Him?
I pray that everyone who reads this will discover in the Bible the amazing truth about the love of Christ and His power that transforms us and enables us to BE His will. If you would like to do a short but very intense Bible study to discover why you’re here at this time and place, let me know!
YOU are loved and time is ever so short. Please, prepare your heart for those things to which God is calling you!